Sunday, September 11, 2011

After Abstinence Come Celebrations


I wrote this article on request from a good friend of mine who works in The Independent. This version (that got published) was heavily edited and it only contains 30% of what I originally envisioned. After submitting the first draft, I was asked to modify the article to a certain extent, i.e. to make it shorter and to include more happier stuff.

Thus I came up with a second version with more happier elements and less amount of doom and gloom. I was told that this version would be published without much editing.

However, when I collected the physical newspaper, I found out that 50% of the 2nd draft was modified and I can barely recognize my own writing! Almost everything, including the title has been changed. The key ideas from my original draft is still there, but the sarcasms and puns have mostly been removed.

I belief the nation deserves to know the truth, and thus I will be posting my first two drafts in subsequent posts.

No one might read these now, but I am sure 50 years down the line, someone from my lineage will stumble upon this blog and get to know how we lived our lives in Dhaka.

No comments: